It is no secret that the number of Mexican immigrants in the USA is growing. A large group is represented by Mexican mail order brides, and people cannot stop discussing their motivation and chances to live a happy life with a wife from Mexico. So, do these women use marriage as an excuse for migration? How many Americans marry Mexican girls? What do interethnic couples say about their family lives? You will find the answers to these and other important questions below.
Demographic situation in Mexico & intermarriage trends
Before we start analyzing the main characteristics of interethnic marriages and the challenges most Latina-White or Latina-Black couples face, let us consider demographic statistics and some new social trends.
- According to Statista, over 123 million people lived in Mexico in 2017. As for the male population, there were over 60 million men. Women outnumber men by more than 3 million – over 63 million females lived in Mexico in 2017. Consequently, Mexican brides for marriage face more fierce competition, and this may be considered one of the reasons why so many women migrate not only to find a better paying job but also to get married to someone.
- Although women significantly outnumber men in Mexico, the number of newlyweds is still pretty large. In particular, over 528 marriages were registered in the country. This shows that the institution of the family becomes even more significant for Mexican society.
- The most common pairing among newlywed intermarried couples is a Hispanic and a white spouse in the USA. The number of interethnic marriages in America, like in most other countries, though, is constantly growing. The percentage of Hispanic-white couples is really high – it is about 42%.
- If you are an educated Hispanic woman, you are more likely to marry a foreign guy. It sounds a bit surprising, but according to statistics, about 50% of Hispanic newlyweds who have a bachelor’s degree were married to someone of different ethnicity.
- The number of inter-ethnic marriages in the USA is constantly growing – in 1980, only 230,000 married someone of another ethnicity. In 2015, over 670,000 people married someone of a different race or ethnicity. Consequently, intermarriages are becoming more and more popular.
What is it like to be married to a Latin wife: the results of empirical research
Who knows everything about interethnic, cross-cultural marriages? Of course, people who are married to someone of another ethnicity. We believe that empirical evidence is the most reliable when it comes to building an interethnic relationship. That is why we chose the research based on the real experience of Latina-White couples in the USA. They are people who have already gone through all challenges, identified all pitfalls and had tons of happy moments. So what do they think about interethnic Latina-White marriages?
Being an interethnic couple: a challenge or a piece of cake?
The most important thing is that the respondents said that “being an interethnic couple was not something that they paid attention to.” Moreover, most couples think that all romantic partners have different backgrounds, and the secret is to focus on each other’s strengths not to on the differences. Moreover, some of the respondents noted that they “didn’t feel like they we’re inter-anything.” In their opinion, you do not have to go through something extraordinary, something that mono-ethnic partners never face. Latino and American spouses note that the only reason why they are together is love and strong wish to be together, and that has no connection with ethnicity.
However, at the same time, they note that their differences were viewed as negative or positive depending on the situation and their emotions. Consequently, the differences may be annoying but only if a couple already has certain problems. In other words, they may be a stressor, just like anything else. Happiness in marriage depends only on spouses themselves and their ability to compromise.
What about the support of the family?
A lot of men attracted to Latin, in particular, Mexican women for marriage, have doubts about getting married to a girl from this country. Their hesitation is related to the fear that their families and friends will not accept her. The respondents note that they tried to surround themselves with similar Latina-white couples – this really worked and allowed them to feel supported. As for the family members, most husbands note that their families were really supportive and that they felt pretty comfortable with their spouse’s families.
What obstacles do interethnic couples face?
It would be a mistake to think that a regular man and a Mexican girl for marriage do not face any challenges at all. Read the info below carefully to find out how they cope with problems.
Communication barriers – Spanish Vs. English
We cannot say that, according to the survey results, there is a single strategy that allows them to break all communication barriers. In fact, each couple developed their own strategy, and most of them combined Spanish and English, but one of the languages was used more frequently. Besides, all spouses had a possibility to learn their spouse’s native language, but not all of them were happy about that. Most of the interethnic couples usually speak English most of the time.
Moreover, most of them do not consider the language barrier a serious problem, at least when it comes to communication between romantic partners themselves. But everything changes when it comes to interaction with the relatives who do not speak English/Spanish at all. A man who is dating a Mexican bride should learn some most common phrases and vice versa – this will help them find common grounds with each other relatives.
Immigration & external stressors
As for immigration, two couples noted that they were stigmatized as foreign immigrants, in particular, because it was much easier for everyone to change a spouses’ undocumented status, and the dating process was relatively short. Of course, it impacted how people who surrounded them viewed their marriage and relationship at large. It must be also noted that almost all couples mentioned that people are skeptical about their relationship: one of the wives and her husband got married in Mexico and then moved to the US. At least a few people did not hesitate to ask if their marriage was “for the papers.” Respondents note that this was one of the worst stressors. Nevertheless, this is not something you cannot cope with when you are in love (source).
Offline Vs. online dating – where to meet a Mexican wife?
Experts cannot stop discussing the phenomenon of online dating. Some of them claim that though it really allows a lot of people to build relationships, they do not work as well as “classic dating.” Some experts and researchers, in turn, note that maintaining a long-distance relationship is the only way for people to meet someone living outside their country or city.
As for the survey that we mentioned above, for one couple, a year of maintaining a long-distance relationship impacted their communication and improved their relationship.
I’m looking back, I’m like wow; long-distance, not seeing each other for a year, but it ended up I think is a really positive thing as far as communication goes because I think we are really like in tune with each other.
More and more people from all around the globe prefer not to rely on Cupids or luck, especially if these people live in western countries. The thing is Americans and other westerns have modern values and believe that lack of control is not a good thing, even when it comes to love. People worldwide want to see the results after they spend their time and money on something, and online dating is much better in this aspect, just due to the effective matchmaking algorithms.
Of course, you can move to Mexico or just go there for a vacation hoping to meet someone. However, as we have noted before, fewer and fewer people prefer to just hope instead of taking control of all parts of their lives, including romantic relationships. Besides, not all men are ready to spend a fortune, change their lives dramatically, and leave family and friends to meet a Mexican woman for marriage. No wonder a lot of guys choose dating websites or social networks.
If you are living in the US or any other country of the Western World, not in Mexico itself, looking for a wife online is a much better option than moving to another country and relying on luck. But the thing is that the dating industry is often associated with not so good things, from breakups to money-hungry women. Is everything really this bad? Of course, it is not. The thing is you need to know how to choose the right website. Some may argue that there is no need to pay for a dating site (let us be honest, most good sites are not free to use), but in fact, dating sites have a lot of strong points:
- Though most of them are paid sites (the company needs to pay salaries, pay for the servers, domain, data security systems), they are also safe – money is a kind of barrier for those who want to join the site for personal gain.
- Every man choosing a Mexican dating site can be sure that there he will find thousands of Mexican brides who want the same – to build a relationship with their match. In other words, this is the best way to meet who are interested in building a relationship as much as you are.
- Most respondents noted that long-distance relationship strengthens the feelings. This is mostly due to the top communication services like video chatting, instant messaging and the possibility to exchange gifts – all these things allow making a relationship romantic and as real as possible.
There is no denying that these are the benefits of a niche dating website and not social networking sites. The latter can also be used for building a relationship with someone from another country, though, but people who choose this path need to spend more time and make more effort to achieve their goal.
In search of a Mexican wife – Conclusion
Generally speaking, choosing a Mexican girl for marriage is the most convenient option for those who are searching for a country where foreign men have a big advantage over locals and where ladies are more conservative. It is no secret that local women do not forget about traditional family values; therefore, they are good matches for western men who were raised in conservative families.
The best thing for American men is that American culture has a great impact on Mexican culture and that though some people are skeptical about the motivation of these ladies, cross-ethnic marriages are becoming more and more common in society. This, in turn, means that interethnic couples have a good chance to overcome all challenges and even get support from family and friends.